Ok, here is my 5 count on tonight’s 71-56 win for Akron over Toledo.
- Much much much better then Saturday. Jumped out early on Toledo and never looked back. Shooting was better both from the 3 point line and from the charity stripe. Just an overall better game, possibly the best we’ve looked all year on the road.
- Zeke: What can I say, outside of his performance in the 2011 MAC Championship game, this was possibly his best game as a Zip. We have been saying it all year, but definitely saw it tonight, he played like a man who wants to play in the NBA next year.
- Figured Toledo would make a run and they did as they got the lead went down to 8. But the response was even more impressive by UA. 5 straight possessions with 3’s pushed the lead back out to 16.
- Boy is it nice to have Chauncey Gilliam back and healthy. He has been on fire the last 2 games, definitely a difference maker from the 3 point line. With Harney in a slight 2 game slump, the emergence of Gilliam has been even more key. Makes you wonder how good this offense can be when the Harney Badger does gets back on track.
- Offensive rebounds. Unreal the last 2 games on how well we’ve rebounded on the offensive end. 16 offensive rebounds tonight, which led to 24 2nd chance points. What I like the most is that its not just Tree and Zeke, we see Walsh, Abreu and Gilliam all crashing the offensive boards.
- Akron now 14-4 on the year. Have won 10 straight and stay undefeated in MAC play at 5-0. Next up: Buffalo at the JAR on Saturday night. I will advise to get there early, a HUGE crowd is expected. Tipoff at 7.
Always remember to follow me on twitter @AK_BigChief and Go Zips!