UPDATE: Here’s the entire interview.
The University of Akron’s head football coach Terry Bowden was featured on All Bets Are Off Thursday evening to talk about his first Wagon Wheel game this upcoming weekend.
The game will be on Sports Time Ohio at 2:00 Saturday, and the interview was a part of the promotion for the telecast.
Like most interviews that Bowden does with non-Akron specific outlets, half the content was on Akron, and the other half was on everything else. Topics ranged from Jawon Chisholm readiness to play Saturday, to Terry’s father Bobby.
Here are a few notes from the Interview
- Chisholm will play Saturday, and Bowden said that he has had a great week of practice. He did make sure to say however that back up Conor Hundley did a great job the past couple weeks.
- Bowden was pretty blunt in saying that he felt that he did not have the talent necessary to win games this year. He blamed a young defense as the downfall of the season.
- Bowden continued and said that senior quarterback Dalton Williams has been great, but feels he needs to do so much. He said that Williams is turning the ball over because he always feels the need to make a play and score points.
- Like Ianello before him, Bowden spoke about getting his seniors a couple wins before leaving the University.
- Terry Bowden recruited now Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher to be his four year quarterback when he was the head coach at Samford.
- Bowden does not speak to Jim Tressel much anymore. He saw him occasional throughout the summer, but lately no contact has been made.
- Bowden made an off hand remark that he feels at home in Akron. He said that he heard that most people who live in Akron were raised in West Virginia. Of course, Bowden was born in Morgantown, WV
- Bowden praised (which was disgusting) Kent for their season so far. He said that he sees a lot of Ohio State football in Kent State football this year.
There was little talk about the rivalry between Akron and Kent State. Most of the discussion was geared towards the Akron season in general. Bowden did not say anything negative about the Flashes either.
Winning the Wagon Wheel this Saturday would be awesome.